Detox your Body: Change of Season 10-day Detox
The change of seasons is the perfect time of year to give your body a reset with a detox. A detox can be as easy as eating a diet filled with fruits, vegetables, lots of water and green tea while cutting out refined sugar, processed foods, and common allergens.
Follow these 10 steps to start your 10-day seasonal Detox.
- Put Down the Processed Foods and Sugar : Read food labels, if you don't know what it is, don't eat it! Refined sugar decreases your liver's ability to detoxify toxins. Remove all processed foods and refined sugars from your diet.
- Eliminate Allergens: Remove foods from your diet that are both difficult to digest and common allergens or suspected allergens (specific to you): red meat, dairy, soy, corn, eggs, wheat and gluten containing grains. You can do anything for 10 days!!
- Bring on the Brassicas: Brassica veggies include broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and bok choy. These veggies are high in Indole-3-carbinol, a phytochemical that promotes liver detoxification. Aim for 2 cups/day green vegetables including these brassicas. Green vegetables high are also high in chlorophyll which increases the dumping of fat soluble toxins into bile and ultimately from the body.
- Eat your Antioxidants: Aim for 1 to 2 cups/day dark berries. Easy to do with a smoothie, try my Blueberry Banana smoothie.
- Power on the Protein: Many of the biochemical detoxification pathways in the liver are protein-dependent and will slow down without adequate protein. Try a Smoothie made with vegan protein powder blended with berries and coconut milk. My current favourite protein powders are Sun Warrior: Warrior Blend Natural and Garden of Life Raw Protein. For stronger detox support I like Thorne's Mediclear Detox Shake (vegan protein with added detox nutrients).
- Fill up on Fiber: Fiber keeps your bowels moving and traps fat-soluble toxins that get excreted with bile into the small intestine. Aim for 2 Tbsp/day of Chia, Psyllium, Organic Rice Bran Fiber (Organic Traditions) added to your meals and smoothies throughout the day.
- Take Time for Tea: Green tea contains antioxidants, protective against all causes of cancer and helps rid the body of fat-soluble toxins through bile. My favourites are Rose Mountain Herb's Organic Houjicha, Jasmine Pearls, Genmaicha and Do Matcha (nice added to a smoothie). Aim for 2 cups/day. If you've been going overboard on coffee, time to give it a rest and switch it up with tea.
- Just add Water: Flushes unwanted toxins, keeps your brain sharp! Aim for 1.5 to 2L/day (You can count your tea in this amount).
- Loving Lemons:Lemons are amazing at improving the alkalinity of your body. The more alkaline your urine is (pH 6.8-7.0), the more water soluble toxins your kidney can flush out, and more Magnesium is spared (when your body is more acidic Magnesium gets flushed from the body). Other ways to improve alkalinity: green vegetables, citrus, buffered vitamin C. If you are interested in knowing your body's pH, you can test the alkalinity of your urine throughout the day with pH paper purchased from a health food or drug store.
- Sweat it out: 30min of exercise a day will help to begin mobilizing fat soluble toxins. Aim for 15 to 30min a day during your 10-day detox. If you have access to a sauna, sauna treatments will enhance your body's ability to sweat! I like Saunaray's far-infrared saunas. Hot yoga and any cardio exercise are all great ways to sweat it out!!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in News
I'm really happy to have found a few sources for safe Halloween face paint. It quite literally makes me cringe knowing that the vast majority of face paints used on children contain harmful heavy metals that are readily absorbed into their skin. Read More