A castor oil pack increases blood flow and lymphatic drainage to the area of your body you are treating. Castor oil packs also promote healing to tissues and organs underneath the skin and are of great benefit to scar tissue. Castor oil can improve digestion, immune function, and reduce swelling of injured joints and extremities. You can also use castor oil packs for menstrual irregularities, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts and any area in the body where there is reduced circulation.
- Castor Oil (Preferably Organic)
- A piece of cotton or wool flannel large enough to cover the area you are treating.
- Hot water bottle or heating pad
- Plastic sheet (saran wrap, or plastic bag cut to size) or water resistant nylon.
- Drizzle the warmed castor oil (place bottle in a bowl of warm in water) on the dry flannel so that it is wet but not dripping.
- Place flannel over the area to be treated (usually the entire abdomen with a focus on the liver, which is under the rib cage on the right side).
- Place sheet of plastic over flannel (castor oil can stain linens and clothing).
- Place hot water bottle or heating pad on top of the plastic or nylon sheet.
- Leave castor oil–soaked flannel in place for 30-60 minutes.
- While treatment is being applied, rest comfortably (read, deep breathe, meditate). Ensure that you drink plenty of water with freshly squeezed lemon before, during and after the treatment.
- The same flannel can be re-used several times (up to 10 applications before washing is necessary). Store it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. You may need to drizzle more castor oil on the flannel before each use.
ALTERNATE METHOD: Castor Oil Rub
- Rub Castor oil onto the Abdomen, wear an old t-shirt (as it will stain), and snuggle up with a hot water bottle or heating pad.